How to use this book to learn more about genealogy in Arkansas:
1. Read the contents to get a feel for the time frame and topics covered.
2. Read through the chapters that may help you learn more about people, surnames or the history of the area in Arkansas where your ancestors lived.
3. Make a list of events described that happened during the lifetime of your ancestor. Research these events.
4. Map out the waterways, roads or buildings mentioned.
5. Get a feel for the customs of the area.
6. Learn the formation of the territory or boundary changes that effected your ancestor.
7. Study the families that lived in the area at the same time as your ancestor.
8. Research record types that would have been generated as boundaries changed or events occurred.
9. What were some of the challenges local residents faced? How did they overcome those challenges?
10. Search the index for familiar surnames.
Pioneers and Makers of Arkansas by Josiah H. Shinn